As one of the leading telecommunications service providers in the world, BT’s Global Services and Global Government units were seeking an applied professional sales development programme to accelerate the development of new sales pipeline and new contracted revenues in key public and commercial sectors.
Sterling Chase was chosen as the preferred supplier for the design and delivery of the Key to the Executive Washroom programme for BT’s Global Services and Global Government units.
The programme’s objectives were to accelerate the development of new sales pipeline and new contracted revenues in key public and commercial sectors and raise the professional standards of its field sales forceby working towards externally recognised (at both a national and international level) applied professional sales and sales management qualifications at level 5 of the NOS/QCF frameworks.
Some of the key elements of the programme involved:
- Pre-attendance research and opportunity qualification by delegates.
- Two-day face-to-face applied planning and skills development workshops for account managers, client partners and sales managers using live target accounts as case studies.
- Sales manager coaching workshops and accreditation assessor training workshops.
- Applied assessment for x4 Level 5 unit awards (using work-based evidence) and application of the skills, behaviours and techniques in the field for assessment.
- Sales manager assessment of their peoples’ application of the tools, techniques and skills against cross-industry benchmark best practice in account management.
- Sterling Chase quality assurance of the BT GS sales managers’ assessment outcomes and assessment of the sales managers to achieve x4 applied Level 5 Unit Awards in Sales Management
- ISM external quality assurance of the BT and Sterling Chase assessments.
The programme was sponsored by the presidents of both business units and was the first implementation of an applied level 5 programme anywhere in the world. The programme was commended by the Institute of Sales Management (ISM) quality assurance team as being best-practice use of applied assessments for simultaneously coaching and delivering real sales performance improvement in a live complex sales environment.
The programme delivered over £100m of incremental new business for BT within one year.
“Sterling Chase have delivered exceptional value for BT during the last six years, with extraordinary increases in sales and pipeline year on year without fail.
Steve and the team are truly inspirational – providing specifically targeted and tailored training for our needs.”
Ian McVea – Senior Learning & Development Buyer, BT
““This programme was really different in that it gave me new core consultative selling skills. It also provided me with direct field-based coaching in delivering and accelerating brand new business and a number of new senior engagements in my customer base. Not least, it gave me recognition for my achievements in the form of externally recognised sales qualifications and an acknowledgement of my accreditation by the President of GS UK. Brilliant!”
Nadjie Butler – Sales Manager, BT Global Services